Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Funke Second Posting

What did you learn from the initial readings and activities about assessment? What surprised you? What irritated you?

I mentioned in my previous post that some of the readings were reminiscent of Dee Fink's text, materials and workshop. I am looking forward to looking at the CATs to see which ones will be most effective and hopefully learn some new strategies. I think using the internship class will be a great method for program assessment. I am on an evaluation subcommittee in my department and we want to revise our instruments and strategy for assessing our graduates and the employers of our graduates. This content will help me to create a better list of "what we want to see in our learners/graduates". There are many ways I can use this information and that is starting to fall into place for me. APR, CPRs, IFRs including teaching portfolios, you name it, I've got to do them now, especially as interim co-chair. I don't have any surprises or irritations to report.

What challenged your thinking? What questions do you find yourself asking after the second session?

In response to looking at Bloom's taxonomy I was thinking more about how to create critical thinking, synthesis, etc. in my students. I have often said to myself that I would like to do this with students, especially on tests and papers, but I honestly do not know how. Can a multiple choice question be a critical thinking question? (I suppose it can) I can hear the students say-"but that wasn't in our notes or the book!" I would really like someone help me to be able to do this.
In addition, when I think about affective objectives, I always viewed this as a way to get students to explore their own values and attitudes directly. For example, "The student will clarify their attitudes in regard to sexual orientation." (attitude inventory, small group discussion). But in Bloom, it was not nearly so precise. I think I need some clarification here.

1 comment:

Dr. Autumn said...

Barbara,

Excellent questions you are posing...for example, "how do I create strategies that help my students develop critical thinking skills?" These are exactly the kinds of questions you can explore in this workshop. I think you'll find some insight and possible answers when you start delving more deeply into the Angelo and Cross text.

I am excited about what you will learn about programmatic assessment from using the intern (capstone) course in this workshop. I'm sure you'll experience lots of ahas once you begin implementing CATs. Autumn